Chris Musabayana, the organiser of “Baba aSharo @46” birthday bash held over the weekend at Andy Millar Hall says despite Oliver Mtukudzi’s no show, he was still a happy man.
Mtukudzi was scheduled to perform at the gig to mark Alick Macheso’s 46th birthday but he failed to make it as he had other shows lined up in South Africa and Mozambique the same weekend.
“Look, Tuku didn’t owe me an apology. If he did apologise, he should have apologised to the people that he owed an apology.
|Thanks but no thanks, Musabayana tells Tuku|
When I talk of success I don’t talk about the numbers but happiness and that’s what happened, people are happy,” Musabayana said.
Mtukudzi who was billed to perform alongside Suluman Chimbetu, Peter Moyo, Soul Jah Love, Progress Chipfumo and other musicians, apologised to Macheso just a day before the show.
“We wish Macheso all the best with the celebrations and apologise as we are unable to join him at Glamis due to unforeseen circumstances. We are, however, planning a show with Macheso and other musicians in August so that we can celebrate together,” Mtukudzi said.
Surprisingly, Mtukudzi had flown into Harare on Tuesday to perform at the European Council on Tourism and Trade Awards ceremony on Wednesday before jetting out shortly after the event.
The “Todii” singer flew to South Africa, en route to Mozambique where he had a number of studio dates and meetings that have had to be rescheduled several times.
Most people asked why Mtukudzi failed to turn up when the birthday show had been advertised a month in advance.
Others claimed the snub had nothing to do with Mtukudzi/Macheso relations but was a result of a long standing dispute between Musabayana and Mtukudzi.
This, the observers said, emanated from a previous sold out show organised by Musabayana in which Mtukudzi performed and was paid in full but then he later asked for a “top up” to which Musabayana refused.